Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Brisbane Global Cafe & President Obama's Remarks

It's been a while since the last post, now I finally get some time to share the exciting things that had happened to me few weeks ago (purely because I was too lazy). After finishing first year of uni, you could probably say I've attended two of the most exciting, amazing, once-in-a-life time events. Thus I need to give thanks to God for these remarkable experience, and also thanks to QUT for providing these opportunities (After all, it's the 'University for the real world', right? *wink*).

The first event was 'Brisbane Global Cafe' . Most people would know one of the events that put Brisbane on the global spotlight would be the G20 summit. With many top leaders of the countries gathering here in Brisbane, discussing the future vision. Global Cafe is also part of the program. It is an event where well known scientists, professors and leaders give their thoughts on their expertise. The five themes of the event were Powering Future Economies Energy, Cities of the Future, Improving Human Life, Tourism New Frontier and The Digital Age: entrepreneur and innovation.


With each ticket costing $350AUD, I'm just glad I was able to join for FREE. The theme I listened to was Cities of the Future. I'm not a person who would read newspaper everyday or be concerned about what the world is going to be like in 50 years time, so listening to these experts on stage just reminds me, while I catchup with kdramas, there's others who are trying to plan for the future world that I will be a part of.

One thing that stuck in my head is their suggestion of 'vertical cities'. For some reasons it reminds me of 'the Tower of Babel'(Genesis 11:1-9) from the bible, which doesn't feel so good. Nevertheless it was an interesting experience (I enjoy looking professional among all other business candidates).

As if this wasn't enough for an ordinary person like me, I was also given the chance to listen to President Barack Obama's remarks live (yes, LIVE, PRESIDENT OBAMA). I initially put my name down because it's another free goodies (yes, i love free stuff), but I felt regretted as I lined up along (what seems to me) a never ending line, under a hot sun. However, I must admit, as soon as I saw President Obama jogged up the stage, this whole 3 hour lining up, dehydrating was worth it.

 
His remarks made my experience extraordinary. It was exceptionally well said. However, I must say I don't agree to his point on supporting gay and lesbian. Though I understand where his point coming from (God loves everyone equally), but still I couldn't agree to it, because the Bible clearly stated homosexual is a sin (1 Corinthians 6: 9-11). God loves us, He wants us to repent from sins. I sincerely pray that good leaders like President Obama can be clear on God's will through reading His Words so the entire nation can be changed and guided to follow God's plan for us.




"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. -Isaiah 55: 8-9

耶和华说:“我的意念非同你们的意念;我的道路也非同你们的道路。天怎样高过地,照样,我的道路高过你们的道路;我的意念高过你们的意念。” -以賽亞書 55:8-9



No comments:

Post a Comment